Tuesday, February 24, 2015

PAIN


This is a picture of a Jackson Pratt drain.  After Last Tuesday's surgery, I went home with two of these. The long plastic part labeled "a" , is the part that is inserted in your skin and allows drainage to be collected through the tube into part "b."  You empty part "b" at various times through out the day and when your drainage is down to a certain point, you can have the JP removed.  And by removed, I mean that they just pull it out of you.  No anesthesia, no nothing, just pull.  Yeah, it's a fun one.  I had one removed from the initial surgery to remove the tumor and lymph nodes last August.  I drained for a month before the JP could be removed.  Wasn't bad at all.  

So yesterday, I go back to see the plastic surgeon for my first post op visit.  I am in a ton of pain already.  I would say, a 6-7 out of 10.  The Lortab isn't that helpful.  Hoping he might take pity on me and prescribe something stronger.  Nah.  Drainage is where it needs to be, It's time to take out the JP's. He preps me with, " Now you are going to feel a pull." Pull?  Are you kidding me?!! It felt like he stabbed me in my ribs!! So I go from a 7-9/10 on the pain scale.  I'm having a hard time breathing, sweat is building up all over my body.  I feel like I am going to throw up, pass out, or die (whichever comes first).  

My husband gave me a priesthood blessing and I all I can say is that the power of God is real. Not all of the pain and discomfort were taken from me, but the unbearable pain was.  Today, pain has been under control until the last 3 hours.  Having a hard time breathing and can't sit up for very long.  It has been a loooong week.

No comments:

Post a Comment