Saturday, October 11, 2014

"How are the CHILDREN COPING?"

Lots of people ask how our children are coping.  Friday, I drove Maya (14 years old) to school and she told me that she had a dream.  In the dream I died and it was very sad for her.  We talked about how sometimes our fears can manifest themselves in our dreams.  I did my best to reassure her.  None of my doctors have ever told me that my prognosis is bad.  I am Stage 2B and I meet breast cancer survivors every day, many of whom were Stage 3 or 4 when they were diagnosed.  Breast Cancer is one of the least complicated kinds of cancer to treat with excellent survival rates etc, etc.  We held hands as we talked.  This morning she gave me the above art work.  She had doodled it at school yesterday.
"Win is what MY WARRIOR MOM WILL DO.
Thoughtful
STRONG
Powerful
Persistent
Strong-willed
Well known and 
Beautiful!
Kind and Gentle
Caring & Loving
Outstanding
Smart
Loved
OURS"

I asked my children if they wanted to shave my head when my hair really started to fall out.  I hoped that it would give them a sense of empowerment and control in all this.  They were excited to do it and upon finishing, Sophie (12 years old), took some of my curls and put them in a Mason jar with white and pink ribbons around it.  I thought that was sweet.

Jamison ( 10 years old) was excited to show off my bald head to his soccer teammates when I picked them up after practice the other day.  They all get in the car and without any warning he says, "HEY!!  Want to see my Mom's bald head!!?"  Some didn't have any idea that I had lost my hair because I have always worn hats, I just have more and wear them all the time now!  They did, so I obliged.  It was interesting to see the range of reactions.  One in particular, Trey, was very compassionate.  He said, "Oh, I feel so bad for girls when that happens."  He meant it too, you could see it in his eyes.  Cute, cute boys!  Aren't kids wonderful!?

As for Vince, our Mormon Missionary, he doesn't even ask how I am doing.  I think that's wonderrful!  His letters are all about the experiences he is having as a missionary and that is just how I want them to be.  

1 comment: