Wednesday, December 3, 2014

This is what a warrior looks like

This is what a breast cancer warrior looks like.

Lately as I look in the mirror,  I have had thoughts of soldiers as they go off to fight a war.  A soldier going in to battle has a "look" about them.  They wear a uniform.  This is my uniform.  Although the battle field is not in a far off country and happens to be my body, I am fighting a war of sorts.  I have been and will continue to be incapacitated at times.  I will lose body parts as a result of being in this battle. I have new scars with more on the horizon.  And yet this battle has given me a whole new appreciation for life.  My definition of a good day has changed.  If I wake up to be with my family and friends and I feel normal, it is a GOOD day.  Blue skies are bluer than they have ever been.  I hear the chirping of birds and go at a slower pace.  I pick up on details that I used to whiz by.  I am learning to live in the moment.  The things that mattered before, matter even more now.  Faith, family and friends.  I am attaining a new level of peace in my relationships because that 's what matters most. Life is good.  It is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment