Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"Bear one another's burdens, that they may be light." Mosiah 18:8

 So.... I wanted to post about the overwhelming service my family and I have received since D-day (diagnosis day).  I will begin with last night though the service began long before then.  Every Tuesday, our Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka The Mormon Church) holds activities for youth age 12-18 yrs old.  So my husband received a phone call from the Young Men's President Joe Langston.  Knowing that Vincen'ts Mission Farewell is this Sunday,  Joe said that the Priests (16-18 year old young men) would like  to come help with yard work.  We have about a third of an acre, so no small task.  About 20 young men and a couple of leaders came and  worked for 2 hours or more clearing weeds and hauling dirt and rocks.  We have an area in the yard that flooded Monday when a freak rain storm brought too much mud and dirt off the mountain.  Fortunately, one of our neighbors Ryan Whipple was on the scene and able to unclog the drain during the storm before things got too bad.  He and several other young men, stayed until it was dark, removing loads of mud and rocks.  They re-engineered that area in the hopes to prevent further flooding.  Did I mention that these guys are just 16&17 years old?!  Army of Helaman indeed!

The Laurel's ( young women 16-18 yrs old) spent the evening creating casseroles and other meals that can just be heated up.  The freezer in my storage room is stocked with meals to feed our family for days on end.  I have had friends bring flowers, cards, dinner (haven't cooked for a week), washed and styled my hair since I can't use my right side very well yet, helped with more yard work, texted, called, and visited.  Tomorrow, I will have an army of women descend upon my house to clean it for the Farewell on Sunday.  I feel that our Ward (congregation) family is going to love ,serve, and pray us through this.  I get the sense that many are taking my diagnosis very personally.  They truly are behaving as if this is happening to them, and mourning with us.  I love where I live and the people that surround us, we are so blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment