Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chemo Cycle #1

So, my very first visitors after my very first chemo treatment were my neighbors Glenn and Rosemary G!  Glenn joined the Cancer Club before me and I used to visit him when he was going through chemo and radiation.  Now he is well enough to come visit me.  What a great guy!  He said, "It's okay for me to go through this stuff, but not you!"  There is definitely a special connection we share as Cancer Club members.  

First Chemo session was at 11 am and lasted until about 1:30.  So...Yesterday afternoon and evening I was feeling fatigued and nauseous.  They gave me some very strong anti-nausea meds through the IV before they even started the chemo.  The nausea didn't really hit until late afternoon, but it was manageable with the anti-nausea pills they gave me to follow up with at home.  I was able to eat a small meal and keep it down.  (Thanks to Lisa J. and Theresa L. for the great food!  I could not have cooked for my family last night)

Today, by 11 am, my stomach was completely settled so I enjoyed lunch and dinner immensely!  My energy level has been steady most of the day.  I had a good work out this morning, a little nap, and then went in for my injection. Can't remember the name for it but it is supposed to help bring my white blood cell count back up.  The point of these cancer treatments is to distinguish rapidly dividing cells and our bone marrow cells fall in to that category even though they are "good", cells.  Thus the shot.  

I am told that day 3-4 post chemo is when things can start to get pretty uncomfortable for some people.  Time will tell, I guess.  Feeling well 1st day after chemo!


No comments:

Post a Comment