Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Short 'Do

The Stylist  Jody Hanks

The BIG hair

The short do
Well, it's been all about the hair for me since Sunday. All day Sunday, I kept noticing and focusing on women with long, beautiful hair.  I was fixated!  I appreciated the way their hair blew in the wind or swayed as they moved.  I was really quite in awe even spellbound by it.  I never found hair so beautiful or appreciated it so much.  At the same time, I felt a profound sadness.  I realized that this was me mourning, or grieving the impending loss of my hair!  It just snuck up on me.

By Tuesday, the idea to go short was foremost on my mind.  I felt that it would be easier if I went from long to short instead of long to bald.  It also gave me a sense of  control and empowerment!  "Nuh uh!  I am cutting you off before you can fall out on me!" 9-10 inches- GONE, just like that.
The children are very excited to hold a ceremonial head-shaving when the hair does start falling out!  Maya gets to shave the left side, Sophie the right side, and Jamison gets the top!

I heard back from Dr. Arch regarding my genetic tests.  I did indeed test positive for the BRAC 1 gene mutation.  RAT FINK!  Rat fink, rat fink, rat fink!!  The journey just got longer and harder.  After Chemo and Radiation, I will have to have a bi-lateral mastectomy, and ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed.  Did I mention that chemo often puts women into menopause?  As if having many of my body parts removed wasn't enough!  Perhaps I will be dealing with the big "M" right along with it.  CRAZINESS!  My mantra?  I can do hard things.  (I hope).....

No comments:

Post a Comment